68a. Montreal, QC to New York City, NY; April 14 – 15, 2017

I finished my last final exam at McGill on Thursday afternoon while Kris packed.

We woke up on Friday morning and walked to the bus stop.  We took the bus to the metro, hopped on the orange line, and exited at Bonaventure.  The metro station is connected to the VIA Rail/Amtrak station underground.

Waiting for the bus on Monkland.

Leaving Canada for five days, we got our Tim Horton’s fix.  The train was full.  The border stop took about 1 1/2 hours.  The view was beautiful; lots of lakes and forest.  The kids enjoyed the ride, especially when we changed engines.


We pulled into New York Penn Station about 8 p.m.  We trudged out and walked to our hotel.  Hungry and ready to try real New York pizza, I walked across the street and ordered five slices.  I was charged $6.00.  Cash only.  I took them back to our room.  They were worth every penny.


The next morning, we ate the hotel’s breakfast and headed to Times Square.  The characters in costume swarmed when they saw the kids.  We ran from them to the M&M store just in time for their 9 a.m. opening.   Anna, who just started soccer, got a little M&M soccer ball.

We walked around a bit more and made it to the Lego Store in Rockefeller Center in time for their 10 a.m. opening.  Zach got a Lego firetruck set.  We noticed lots of police officers around.

We went up to Central Park to let the kids run around.  Kris took pictures of the kids.  Anna buried her soccer ball with a stick and I spoke to a retired British secretary.



We walked toward our hotel and noticed the police officers setting up barricades.

Eager to try New York fare, we walked out to eat lunch.  There was a full blown parade/protest in front of our hotel.  We were staying on 6th Avenue next Bryant Park which is also where the President Trump tax protest was taking place.  Thousands of people were outside.

We ate a late lunch at Ruby Tuesday; excellent New York food.  We went back to the hotel, napped, and then went to the Met to enjoy the artwork.


Exhausted, we took the subway back to our hotel.  We were all asleep by 8:30.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s